Thursday, March 8, 2012

Google Play

I got a notification on my phone today; Market has updates for apps installed on my phone. So I click the Market icon. Instead of getting the usual display of apps that have updates, I am greeted with this:


Google Play? What the hell? Did I accidentally tap one of the pre-installed bloatware apps by mistake?

So, of course I hit "Decline". And I'm sent right back out to my home screen.

Apparently my old Market app is gone, and if I want to get apps for my phone, I'm now required to agree to:
  • Google Play Terms of Service
  • Google Music Terms of Service
  • Google Books Terms of Service
  • YouTube Rentals Terms of Service
  • First Born Belongs To Google Terms of Service1

Hmmm, what to do? Do I write to Google? Do I call Sprint and ask to cancel my contract?

Fortunately, I got QR Droid on my phone before this happened. Hey look, there's a QR code now:
"Get a great paid app for free every day."

After telling my phone to allow installations from non-Market sources, I've got a new way to get apps for my phone. I entered my Amazon account details; (Optional. But, I've already got Kindle for Android installed and linked with my Amazon account. So, I might as well, right?) and then download Fantastic 4 in a Row HD, since it's today's paid app for free.

Market is dead. Long live the Amazon App Store.
Tomorrow I think I'll install the F-Droid Repository as well.

1 Okay, I made this one up, but all the others are real. Look at the picture!

1 comment: