Monday, March 5, 2012

Honor Code

MITx Honor Code Pledge

By enrolling in an MITx course, I agree that I will:
  • Complete all mid-terms and final exams with my own work and only my own work. I will not submit the work of any other person.
  • Maintain only one user account and not let anyone else use my username and/or password.
  • Not engage in any activity that would dishonestly improve my results, or [dishonestly] improve or hurt the results of others.
  • Not post answers to problems that are being used to assess student performance.

Unless otherwise indicated by the instructor of an MITx course, learners on MITx are encouraged to:
  • Collaborate with others on the lecture videos, exercises, homework and labs.
     
  • Discuss with others general concepts and materials in each course.
     
  • Present ideas and written work to fellow MITx learners or others for comment or criticism.

Three notes on my personal interpretation of this honor code:

1. This blog is my way of presenting ideas and written work to fellow MITx learners for comment or criticism. I intend to blog-through the materials of the course and make my thoughts on the material available for discussion and collaboration.

2. I will work out the answers to problems being used to assess student performance; (I will have to complete the homework and tests in order to submit them). I will post the answers to these problems eventually, but I will embargo those answers until they are no longer used to assess student performance (i.e.: the course is over).

3. I have added the word dishonestly (in red) above. I won't post anything to help anybody cheat. However, if somebody reads this blog, and my words help them to better understand the material, and thereby improves their results through honest learning effort, then I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment